Thursday, March 01, 2007

There is a distinct lack of body,

or low-end thump to give it its proper name, in every guitar amplifier I have so far tried other than the senescent Peavey Deuce I have at home. Is this just another example of declining standards? Why is there elusive distortion at strange points on some of the vocals I have recently recorded on my multitrack, when the signal has demonstrably not clipped? Why is my CD player getting funny about playing CDRs? This last one: because they're more demanding to read and after fifteen years the poor old bugger is worn out. Why is nothing built as well as it used to be? Am I getting old? And grumpy?

Why do I need to do a totally clean install of XP on this machine every four or five months to prevent it running like a slug after a stag night? Why does my washing machine emit high-pitched squeals, and not of joy, when it is pumping out? Why does the software designed to detect my sat-nav when I plug it into USB on this computer not, er, detect my sat-nav? Why do some of my USB devices work plugged into the USB ports on the back of the PC and some when plugged into the front - but not predictably? Why do neither of my, admittedly cheap and cheerful, DECT phones work and/or charge predictably enough to encourage their actual use?

I could go on at some length.

Who was it said that machines own you? Too right.

On a brighter note, watch out for Luminox in Broad Street, Oxford from the 15th to 17th of March, 6.30pm and on. This will be "a magical environment with fire sculptures", boasting "a giant pendulum" and live music. I'll be having some, or all, of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home