Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I just put a load more photos up on Flickr.

This fit of enthusiasm owes much to discovering the Flickr Uploader tool, found here. Really takes the sting out of it all. I love Flickr. The only issue for me with Flickr, as with so much on the web, is whether or not to spend the rest of my live browsing through it. Few of the photos I post there are technically very good, as I only have a fairly rudimentary compact camera. This may shortly change, but then I'm feeling poor and also quite inclined to see how far I can push the gear I've got. We'll see. I don't edit or alter the pics, by the way, since I'm pretty idle that way. So let's not get into any lengthy debates about exposure or composition. Yes, I could and probably will tart up the photos in post-processing and editing. No, I haven't yet. They all mean something to me. Let's hope I'm not entirely alone in this :)

One thing I have become aware of recently, though, is how much I love photography. For about a year now, since I bought my little Olympus, I've been taking a few pictures most days as well as going out specifically with photography in mind. I have become so used to documenting my life in this way, or at least my frequent walks, that I now feel naked without the camera. It was earlier this evening when this fully dawned on me. What also dawned on me is how nice it is to have a camera so compact and indeed robust that it is always practical to carry and use it. If I had a digital SLR, would I have it with me all the time? I doubt it. And the best gear there is is useless when you've left it at home. I also think that there are considerable advantages to an unintimidating little camera. People who are camera-shy often overcome it just because they see that it is a cute little device.

I love my Olympus Stylus thingy. There's no other way to put it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home