Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Have reached a brief but welcome hiatus

in endless round of recordings, peppered with gigs and jams. It would be nice if it were all a bit more lucrative, but at least I am getting things done and being rewarded by a lot of complimentary drinks. I have long since accepted that drinking like fury on these occasions is a fixed overhead, so reducing the cost overhead is in fact a form of decent wages. Pasties too contribute to the material gain.

In partial compensation for having achieved virtually nothing in terms of sorting out various niggling domestic problems - although I did manage to get the boiler serviced - I have at least largely sorted out the Christmas shopping. This represents probably the earliest date in December by which I could ever have said this. As I need only buy a couple more items to have totally finished, I shall mount another Mesopotamia reconnaissance mission on my way to town to tie up loose ends. There's little better than a nice winter walk.

Due to a propitious alignment of the stars, or perhaps more prosaically a happy coincidence of electrical consumption (and weren't you all wondering how long I could go without getting electrical on you?) , I have acquired some sort of fairly up-market graphics card in return to an old TV. My old computer now has the capability to run Second Life as well as the new one, so I can thrash about in this fabled resource hog without being effectively prevented from all other on-line activity. Well, if I don't mind being deafened that is. I never did really get to the bottom of how the old box was so noisy, given its decent power supply (thanks again Dan). Still, maybe I could stick it in a cupboard or something. The newer machine remains delightfully sotto voce. Oh, and the hard drive in the ancient laptop died, so that's that really. Still, too many computers is probably not good for anyone in any case. The Second Life remains quite absorbing, although I am not at all an addict. It could easily be done, but I am strong...

I envisage further mad social whirl, my dears, over the festive period. This I shall counter by healthy eating and exercise, as my epically nasty virus seems to have abated enough for me to be less worried about getting out in the cold. I've been pretty successful with the photography as well of late, although my compact camera does not seem too good in low light. I must look into this a bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home