Tuesday, January 30, 2007

More photos up on Flickr.

At the moment new content is principally confined to pictures of my drunken, gurning friends. I do look rather wistfully at the interesting artistic photos others post to Flickr, but until I shake what is turning out to be a lifetime nasty virus and get out a bit more it'll be the gurning I'm afraid. Then again, if you're reading this there is a fair possibility that you are one of my drunken, gurning friends. In that case you may be delighted, or better still appalled, to see yourself commemorated online in this way. Anyway, link to my Flickr stuff is as always over to the right here under links.

I am assuaging my hatred of the cold and interest in remote places by scouting the web reading what I can about Saint Helena Island in the South Atlantic and also Antarctica. St Helena is warm, and Antarctica I think we all know about. One of the principal attractions of St Helena is the colonial architecture, which I will visit the instant they get their airport; right now it's two ships a year or something for access, which would explain how the place has remained so unspoilt. But there will be an airport by 2010, which will simultaneously ruin the character of the place while allowing the cheerful but impecunious locals to earn a few bob for pretty much the first time ever. These things are never simple. Google the place and you'll see what I mean. There isn't a lot of stuff on the web about it, and there seem to be other islands by the same name in the States which means you need to get South Atlantic in play in your search terms.

Antarctica on the other hand is fairly well documented, certainly from the human habitation point of view. Why on earth I am such a sucker for these remote places is anyone's guess, but I imagine the relative simplicity is a large part of it; if you spend as much time as I do pondering the ins and outs of art and culture and the complex web that ties disparate elements of them together then contemplation of what it must be like to be somewhere that makes the simplest thing rather difficult can be pretty grounding. And isn't freedom to be found in absence of choice? So I continue my crusade to keep abreast of the affairs of remote islands via the web. It's an effective form of de-cluttering as they go. Wikipedia as ever remains a useful starting point; one looks up, say, Antarctica and then scouts the links at the bottom of the entry. Don't know what I'd do without it.

If it's not too cold outside there are some pictures of the far-from-remote Botanic Gardens I really want to nail today, so there's a project for later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home