Thursday, May 10, 2007

Well, that Ubuntu

It all seems well and good, apart from the fact that I can't get no net satisfaction on it. And a box with no access to the net is, well, I think we used to call that a typewriter. Or a games console. Certainly no use to me.

I was quite happy until I noticed that, out of the metaphorical box, Ubuntu wanted to use WEP on my wireless connection. WEP, for the uninitiated (and I don't blame you at all), is a form of wireless security that works on the premise that you are quite happy for any script-kiddie to get full access to your doings in no time at all. A total waste of time in the modern world, and even more dangerous in that you might think your hindquarters were not hanging out and available to all whereas the reverse (no pun intended) is likely true. I tried to get proper WPA organized, but Ubuntu just wanted to tie itself in a knot, seemingly enabling and disabling my wireless dongle at random. Ubuntu's help says there is WPA as standard on the latest release (7.04, which I am/was using), but there is not. Oh look, Ubuntu itself claims the opposite. It offers help to fix this, but of course all this help is - you guessed it - on the web.

As of right now I've given up. All the other Linuxes I've tried have sussed this perfectly well, so bad naughty wicked Ubuntu. I don't have the time. I have two XP boxes that simply work, and a decent Apple. I'd really love to give Linux a fair crack of the whip, but it lets me down every time in some respect. So it's off to play with the (BSD based) OS X a bit more. At the moment though I'm doing everything that matters on my XP boxen, and quite frankly with due diligence there is nothing wrong with that.

With the amount of going on my way a sadder and wiser man I do in relation to technology I must by now be the most depressed and clued-up individual out there.

I may resume trying to get the bugger to work, or I may not. Watch this space. But people, don't just use WEP.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Chiarina said...

When ever my computer is being crappy I think of you and how you reinstall everything periodically. Then I think of all the apps and settings I'd have to reinstall and redo and I just can't bring myself to do it....ps new online home btw...xxx

9:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home